Sonic City: it's a family thing. This week we introduce part of the Sonic City crew. Tom (bookings), Mich (bookings), Pieter (production) and Elisah (communication) talk about 'their Sonic City'. Past, present and future. Tom Vangheluwe is Sonic City's booker.
PRESENT || What are your three favorite 'Sonic City curated by Sonic City' acts?
- Yard Act. Upcoming talent from overseas. Rough, raw and intense but catchy as hell.
- Duma. Industrial grindcore from Kenia. Or: how sounds from Africa can completely throw you off and surprise you.
- Microphones: We've had the pleasure of hosting Phil Elverum in Kortrijk a few times already (remember Mount Eerie in our 'In Heaven' series, when Phil was touring with his kid). Last year he dusted off his Microphones project and made a rather surprising record with only one 45minute song. Very curious about this Microphones headline show.
PAST || What were your three favorite Sonic City live shows?
- Thurston Moore Group [curated by Viet Cong, 2015]. Evidently I've been a fan for ages, when we finally got Thurston to play Sonic City in 2015 I was thrilled. Thurston Moore Group live is bliss. How perfect two guitars can blend together into an intense, breathtaking, highly addictive sound.
- Dirty Projectors [curated by Aldo Struyf & Tim Vanhamel, 2007]. The very first Sonic City festival curated by Millionaire! Dirty Projectors were completely unknown back then, but set De Kreun on fire with their set. Ever since then, Dirty Projectors are one of my all time favorites!
- This Is Not This Heat [curated by Thurston Moore, 2017]. One of my best concert experiences to this day.
FUTURE || Any ideas for future curators?
Loads. Wait and see.